Addiction Professional Services
The uniform, credible standard in California
California alcohol and other drug (AOD) / substance use disorder (SUD) counselors providing services in State-licensed AOD/SUD programs are required by law to be registered and certified.

Breining Institute and the California Association for Alcohol / Drug Educators (CAADE) have joined forces to to establish a single, uniform counselor certification in California, based upon nationally-recognized standards, with the transitioning of the Registered Addiction Specialist (RAS) Credential to the Certified Addictions Treatment Counselor (CATC) Credentials for counselors located in California.

Many California counselors with other certifications have asked to participate in this transition to a uniform credential in California as well, and, through the Breining Reciprocity Program, an eligible counselor may be granted the RAS through reciprocity, after which they can then be transitioned to the CATC Credential.

We encourage you to take advantage of this opportunity as California transitions to this uniform standard over the next two years.

AOD Counselors
You must be REGISTERED with a State of California approved certification agency such as CAADE within six (6) months of starting to provide counseling services,

... then you must be FULLY CERTIFIED within five (5) years of Registration

If you are not already registered as an AOD counselor in California, you may register with CAADE here:

Register with CAADE
30% of your staff who are providing
counseling services must be fully certified as of April 1, 2010
or you will be cited by the State of California
Department of Health Care Services (DHCS)


If you already hold an RAS Credential from Breining, including the RAS II, RAS III or M-RAS Credentials, send to Breining a completed "RAS to CATC Application" available at this link:
RAS to CATC Credential

If you hold an equivalent certification from a difference agency, and would like to be granted reciprocity to be awarded the RAS Credential and then transition to the CATC Credential, please select this link for more information and an application:
Reciprocity for RAS Credential

California Law

Here is a link to the State of California law relating to the registration and certification of alcohol and other drug (AOD) counselors and their employers: